FISCAL YEAR 2018 STATE BUDGET
The EJC’s legislative funding campaign calls on state lawmakers to adequately fund the Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC) line item in the Fiscal Year 2018 state budget. MLAC is requesting $23 million in the FY18 budget of the Commonwealth.
View MLAC’s FY18 Budget Fact Sheet [PDF]
Below is a timeline of the budget process. Your voice and input is important throughout this process. Find out how to get involved and have your say.
• On January 25, Governor Baker released his FY 2018 budget, recommending $18,180,000 for MLAC, an increase of $180,000 over FY2017.
• On April 10, the House Ways & Means Committee released its budget proposal, recommending $19.5 million for MLAC, an increase of $1.5 million over FY2017.
• On April 25, the House passed its FY2018 budget, including $20 million for MLAC, an increase of $2 million over FY2017.
• On May 16, the Senate Ways & Means Committee released its budget proposal, recommending $18 million for MLAC, level funding compared to FY2017.
• On May 25, the Senate passed its FY2018 budget, including an amendment that added $2 million in funding for MLAC, for a total appropriation of $20 million.
Conference Committee budget
• On July 7, the Conference Committee released its budget, including $18 million for MLAC.
• On July 17, Governor Baker signed the FY18 budget, including $18 million for MLAC, keeping civil legal aid funding at the same level as FY17.
• Following any legislative overrides, the final budget, called the General Appropriations Act (GAA), goes into effect.