FISCAL YEAR 2020 STATE BUDGET
The EJC’s legislative funding campaign calls on state lawmakers to adequately fund the Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC) line item in the Fiscal Year 2020 state budget. MLAC is requesting $26 million in the FY20 budget of the Commonwealth.
View MLAC’s new FY20 Budget Fact Sheet!
Below is a timeline of the budget process. Your voice and input is important throughout this process. Find out how to get involved and have your say.
• Governor Baker included $21 million (level funding) for MLAC in his FY20 budget recommendations, released January 23, 2019.
• In April, the House of Representatives included $23.5 million for MLAC in its FY20 budget.
• In May, the Senate voted unanimously to increase MLAC funding to $24 million in its FY20 budget.
Conference Committee budget
• In July, a Conference Committee (made up of three Representatives and three Senators) combined the House and Senate budgets into a single bill, which included $24 million for MLAC. The legislature voted to send the final budget to the Governor.
• On July 31, Governor Baker signed the FY20 state budget, including $24 million for MLAC.
• Following any legislative overrides, the final budget, called the General Appropriations Act (GAA), goes into effect.