FISCAL YEAR 2023 STATE BUDGET
The EJC’s legislative funding campaign calls on state lawmakers to adequately fund the Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC) line item in the Fiscal Year 2023 state budget. MLAC is requesting $41 million in the FY23 budget of the Commonwealth.
Understanding the State Budget Process
Your participation is crucial to our budget campaign’s success. Below is a timeline of the state budget process that lets you know important dates in our campaign from January to July.
Want to stay informed on the latest issues affecting civil legal aid funding in Massachusetts, and know when the critical times are to contact your elected officials? Sign up for our action alerts here, and find out how to get involved and have your say.
• In January, Governor Baker will release his FY23 budget recommendations.
• In March or April, the House of Representatives will release its FY23 budget for the Commonwealth.
• After the House releases its budget, the Senate will release its FY23 budget for the Commonwealth.
Conference Committee budget
• In May, the Conference Committee (made up of three Representatives and three Senators) will combine the House and Senate budgets into a single bill.
• Before July 1, Governor Baker will sign or veto portions of the FY23 budget.
• Following any legislative overrides, the final budget, called the General Appropriations Act (GAA), goes into effect.