FISCAL YEAR 2021 STATE BUDGET
The EJC’s legislative funding campaign calls on state lawmakers to adequately fund the Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC) line item in the Fiscal Year 2021 state budget. MLAC is requesting $29 million in the FY21 budget of the Commonwealth.
View MLAC’s new FY21 Budget Fact Sheet!
Below is a timeline of the budget process. Your voice and input is important throughout this process. Find out how to get involved and have your say.
• In late January, Governor Baker will release his FY21 budget recommendations.
• In April, the House of Representatives will debate and vote on its FY21 budget for the Commonwealth.
• In May, the Senate will debate and vote on its FY21 budget for the Commonwealth.
Conference Committee budget
• In July, a Conference Committee (made up of three Representatives and three Senators) will combine the House and Senate budgets into a single bill. The legislature will then vote to send the final budget to the Governor.
• After the legislature approves the final budget, Governor Baker has 10 days to sign the budget or veto specific line items.
• Following any legislative overrides, the final budget, called the General Appropriations Act (GAA), goes into effect.