FISCAL YEAR 2020 STATE BUDGET
The EJC’s legislative funding campaign calls on state lawmakers to adequately fund the Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC) line item in the Fiscal Year 2020 state budget. MLAC is requesting $26 million in the FY20 budget of the Commonwealth.
View MLAC’s new FY20 Budget Fact Sheet!
Below is a timeline of the budget process. Your voice and input is important throughout this process. Find out how to get involved and have your say.
• Governor Baker included $21 million (level funding) for MLAC in his FY20 budget recommendations, released January 23, 2019.
• In April, the House of Representatives included $23.5 million for MLAC in its FY20 budget.
• In May, the Senate voted unanimously to increase MLAC funding to $24 million in its FY20 budget.
Conference Committee budget
• In June, a Conference Committee, made up of three Representatives and three Senators, will combine House and Senate budgets into a single bill, which is then voted on by each chamber before being sent to the Governor.
• The Governor signs the budget within ten days of receiving it.
• Following any legislative overrides, the final budget, called the General Appropriations Act (GAA), goes into effect.