FISCAL YEAR 2021 STATE BUDGET
The EJC’s legislative funding campaign calls on state lawmakers to adequately fund the Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC) line item in the Fiscal Year 2021 state budget. MLAC is requesting $29 million in the FY21 budget of the Commonwealth.
View MLAC’s new FY21 Budget Fact Sheet!
Understanding the State Budget Process
Your participation is crucial to our budget campaign’s success. Below is a timeline of the state budget process that lets you know important dates in our campaign from January to July.
Want to stay informed on the latest issues affecting civil legal aid funding in Massachusetts, and know when the critical times are to contact your elected officials? Sign up for our action alerts here, and find out how to get involved and have your say.
• In January, Governor Baker released his FY21 budget recommendations, which included $24 million for civil legal aid.
• In April, the House of Representatives will debate and vote on its FY21 budget for the Commonwealth.
• In May, the Senate will debate and vote on its FY21 budget for the Commonwealth.
Conference Committee budget
• In July, a Conference Committee (made up of three Representatives and three Senators) will combine the House and Senate budgets into a single bill. The legislature will then vote to send the final budget to the Governor.
• After the legislature approves the final budget, Governor Baker has 10 days to sign the budget or veto specific line items.
• Following any legislative overrides, the final budget, called the General Appropriations Act (GAA), goes into effect.