FISCAL YEAR 2017 STATE BUDGET
The EJC’s legislative funding campaign calls on state lawmakers to adequately fund the Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC) line item in the Fiscal Year 2017 state budget. MLAC is requesting $27 million in the FY17 budget.
View MLAC’s FY17 Budget Fact Sheet [PDF]
Below is a timeline of the budget process. Your voice and input is important throughout this process. Find out how to get involved and have your say.
• On January 27, Governor Baker released his FY 2017 budget, recommending $17,170,000 for MLAC, an increase of $170,000 over FY2016.
• On April 13, the House Ways & Means Committee released its budget proposal, recommending $18 million for MLAC, an increase of $1 million over FY2016.
• On April 27, the House passed its FY2017 budget, including $18.5 million for MLAC, an increase of $1.5 million over FY2016.
• The Senate Ways & Means Committee recommended $17 million for MLAC in its FY17 budget proposal, released May 12.
• On May 26, the Senate passed its FY2017 budget, including $18 million for MLAC, an increase of $1 million over FY2016.
Conference Committee budget
• On June 29, the Conference Committee released its budget, including $18 million for MLAC.
• On July 8, Governor Baker signed the FY17 budget, approving $18 million for MLAC.
• Following any legislative overrides, the final budget, called the General Appropriations Act (GAA), goes into effect.