Fiscal Year 2013 State Budget
The EJC’s legislative funding campaign for FY13 is working to increase the Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC) line item (0321-1600) by $5 million – from $9.5 million to $14.5 million. After securing level funding of $9.5 million in FY11 and FY12, an increase is needed to prevent further cuts to civil legal aid programs, which have been struggling to meet increased demand.
- On January 25, Gov. Patrick recommended increased funding of $12 million for the MLAC line item in his FY13 budget.
- On February 17, Gov. Patrick signed a spending bill that included an extra $1 million for the MLAC line item in FY12, bringing MLAC’s total FY12 appropriation to $10.5 million
- The House of Representatives passed their FY13 budget on April 26. The budget matches the governor’s recommendation of $12 million for MLAC.
- The Senate passed their FY13 budget on May 23. The budget recommends $11.5 million for MLAC, $500,000 less than the House and Governor recommended.
- The House of Representatives and the Senate voted to pass the Conference Committee budget on June 28. This budget includes $12 million for MLAC, and is the final step in the process before the Governor reviews the budget and it’s signed into law.
- On July 8, Governor Patrick signed the FY13 budget, including funding of $12 million for MLAC.
Click here to add your own text