FISCAL YEAR 2019 STATE BUDGET
The EJC’s legislative funding campaign calls on state lawmakers to adequately fund the Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC) line item in the Fiscal Year 2019 state budget. MLAC is requesting $23 million in the FY19 budget of the Commonwealth.
Below is a timeline of the budget process. Your voice and input is important throughout this process. Find out how to get involved and have your say.
• On January 24, Governor Baker released his FY 2019 budget, recommending $18,180,000 for MLAC, an increase of $180,000 over FY 2018.
• On April 11, the House Ways & Means Committee released its budget, recommending $20 million for MLAC, an increase of $2 million over FY 2018.
• On April 26, the House passed its FY 2019 budget, including $20.79 million for MLAC, an increase of $2.79 million over FY 2018.
• On May 10 the Senate Ways & Means Committee released its budget, recommending $19 million for MLAC, an increase of $1 million over FY2018.
Conference Committee budget
• A Conference Committee consisting of three Senators and three Representatives will combine the House and Senate budgets into a single bill. After the House and Senate approve the bill, it will be sent to the Governor.
• The Governor must sign the budget within 10 days of receiving it.
• Following any legislative overrides, the final budget, called the General Appropriations Act (GAA), goes into effect.