FISCAL YEAR 2018 STATE BUDGET
The EJC’s legislative funding campaign calls on state lawmakers to adequately fund the Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC) line item in the Fiscal Year 2018 state budget. MLAC is requesting $23 million in the FY18 budget of the Commonwealth.
Below is a timeline of the budget process. Your voice and input is important throughout this process. Find out how to get involved and have your say.
• On January 25, Governor Baker released his FY 2018 budget, recommending $18,180,000 for MLAC, an increase of $180,000 over FY2017.
• On April 10, the House Ways & Means Committee released its budget proposal, recommending $19.5 million for MLAC, an increase of $1.5 million over FY2017.
• On April 25, the House passed its FY2018 budget, including $20 million for MLAC, an increase of $2 million over FY2017.
• On May 16, the Senate Ways & Means Committee released its budget proposal, recommending $18 million for MLAC, level funding compared to FY2017.
Conference Committee budget
• A Conference Committee, made up of three Representatives and three Senators, combine House and Senate budgets into a single bill, which is then voted on by each chamber before being sent to the Governor.
• The Governor signs the budget within ten days of receiving it.
• Following any legislative overrides, the final budget, called the General Appropriations Act (GAA), goes into effect.