FISCAL YEAR 2017 STATE BUDGET
The EJC’s legislative funding campaign calls on state lawmakers to adequately fund the Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC) line item in the Fiscal Year 2016 state budget. MLAC is requesting $27 million in the FY17 budget.
Below is a timeline of the budget process. Your voice and input is important throughout this process. Find out how to get involved and have your say.
- On January 27, Governor Baker released his FY 2017 budget, recommending $17,170,000 for MLAC, an increase of $170,000 over FY2016.
- The House Ways & Means Committee reports its budget to the full House for debate and vote in mid-April.
- The Senate Ways & Means Committee reports its budget to the full Senate for debate and vote in mid-May.
Conference Committee budget
- A Conference Committee budget, made up of three senators and three representatives, will work to reconcile House and Senate budgets into a single budget, which is then returned to each chamber for a vote.
- Once the reconciled budget is passed by the House and Senate, it goes to the Governor to be signed.
- Following any legislative overrides, the final budget, called the General Appropriations Act (GAA), goes into effect.