Understanding the State Budget Process
Your participation is crucial to our budget campaign’s success. Below is a timeline of the state budget process that lets you know important dates in our campaign from January to July.
• The State Budget Process [PDF]
Want to stay informed on the latest issues affecting civil legal aid funding in Massachusetts, and know when the critical times are to contact your elected officials? Sign up for our action alerts here.
Talking to Your Legislator
If you planning to call, email or meet with a legislator about civil legal aid, below are talking points and supporting information you can use.
• Civil Legal Aid Talking Points [PDF]
Budget Fact Sheets
The EJC’s legislative funding campaign calls on state lawmakers to adequately fund the Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC) line item in the Fiscal Year 2018 state budget.
• FY18 Budget Fact Sheet [PDF], which presents MLAC’s FY18 budget request as well as supporting information about civil legal aid in Massachusetts
• Impact Fact Sheet [PDF], which details what civil legal aid programs can accomplish with additional state funding
• Federal Funding Fact Sheet [PDF], which provides information on federal funding—for civil legal aid and other programs that support low-income individuals and families—that is currently at risk for elimination
Issue-specific Fact Sheets
Civil legal aid programs in Massachusetts provide legal assistance to low-income individuals and families in a variety of cases, including housing, employment, education, health care, and family law, among others. Below are a series of fact sheets created by the Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation that detail the number of cases closed in each issue area, as well as client stories and specific ways civil legal aid helps clients.
• Family Law and Domestic Violence [PDF]
• Housing [PDF]
• Employment/Unemployment [PDF]
• Immigration [PDF]
Civil legal aid has broad support from the legal, business, and social services communities in Massachusetts. Over 50 social services organizations have endorsed MLAC’s FY18 budget request.
• FY18 Social Services Endorsement List
To view the letters of support submitted to the governor and the legislature by the law firm managing partners, corporate counsel for businesses and organization, as well as the deans of all nine Massachusetts law schools, visit our Letter Campaign page.